Setup Arduino IDE for programming esp8266
For ESP8266 With 4M Flash
Use the ESP8266 flasher for Arduino IDE without pressing the reset button. Watch the Videoopen in new window for the demo.
- Install Arduino 1.6.5 from the Arduino websiteopen in new window.
- Start Arduino and open Preferences window.
- Enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.jsonopen in new window into Additional Board Manager URLs field. You can add multiple URLs, separating them with commas.
- Open Boards Manager from Tools > Board menu and install esp8266 platform (and don't forget to select your ESP8266 board from Tools > Board menu after installation).
- You can programming ESP8266 module by choose the board type "NodeMCU V1.0" now.
For ESP8266 With Less Flash Size
For ESP-01 or other modules, they have only 512K or 1M flash.
- Choose board type "general esp8266 module"
- Choose correct flash size and spi interface (QIO/DIO)
- Choose "Reset Method" as "nodemcu"